About the Role
The Prototyping Engineer will contribute to all phases of product design, development, prototyping, manufacturing and operational support. In this role, the engineer will be responsible for tasks such as component design, component fabrication, physical & performance testing, system integration and other related activities for marine hydrokinetic devices. In addition to working with other members of the Verterra Energy product development team, they will work with outside technicians, engineers and scientists and collaborate in the development of prototypes and the manufacturing of components as part of a rare opportunity to carry ideas from concept, through design and engineering, and into production.
The ideal Prototyping Engineer candidate will possess strong scientific and fabrication aptitudes and brings practical experience to the team. Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills are essential, as are the highly effective communication skills necessary to explain technical matters, develop detailed specifications and support ongoing product design documentation needs.
Technical competencies in the areas of mechanical engineering, fabrication and assembly methods are required. A willingness to work in the field at various installation sites as well as on or around bodies of water is desirable, and the candidate will generally be comfortable performing in a hands-on environment.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
This position will work primarily from the Verterra Skunkworks in the Twin Cities Area, and remotely when feasible with flexible hours.
· Build key components and systems in a timely manner while adhering to sound mechanical design and engineering methods
· Maintain a positive attitude, a passion for excellence, contribute to the well-being of the company, its products, and its employees.
· Collaborate with outside vendors, contractors, technicians and drafts-persons assisting in the development process and monitor production progress on pilot production runs of new designs.
· Provide estimations of the amount of work required for completion of component/development tasks and advise team members as schedules change.
· Maintain familiarity with the “state of the art” in areas relevant to renewable energy technologies and mechanical system technologies.
· Minimum of 4 bachelor's degree in mechanical engineering, mechanical engineering technology
· At least 4 years of relevant work experience in engineering, R&D, and/or new product development, preferably in a field where you have experience that prepared you for this job (e.g., in (innovation) engineering, construction, innovation, ship-building, maritime industry, etc.)
· Fluent in English
· Curious, proactive, and results-driven team player.
· Can find structure in complex situations by utilizing strong communication skills to guide the team through your planning.
· Understands that a certain amount of groundwork (document control, follow up for planning updates, administrative tasks, etc.) is part of the job and project success.
· Performs well in a fast-paced and dynamic environment.
Specific Skills and Needs:
· Deliver clear and concise communication, both written and verbal, to management, other team members and end users.
· CNC Programing & Operation
· Fabricate components and systems
· Experience in wood and metal working, plastics & composites
· 3D solid modeling (Solidworks) and 2D drafting experience.
· Create verification plans for component and system designs.
About the Company
Verterra Energy is on a mission to harness the power in the world’s rivers, canals and oceans. To accomplish this, we are commercializing our first device called VOLTURNUS, a pioneering waterpower technology that deploys in harmony with the current to dynamically adjust to water direction, velocity and depth.
We are building an extraordinary team to accomplish this important mission. Verterra Energy is funded through a multiyear DoD contract in collaboration with the US Army Corps of Engineers.